Ygnacio Valley Library
Peek-A-Book Storytime (Ages 1 – 2)
Tuesdays at 10:15 am | Meeting Room
Peek-A-Book Storytime includes stories, fingerplays and songs, followed by free play. Most appropriate for ages 1-2, but all ages are welcome.
Family Storytime (Ages 3 – 5)
Thursdays at 10:15 am | Meeting Room
Family Storytime is a fun combination of storybooks, flannel boards, and songs to strengthen early literacy skills. Most appropriate for ages 3-5, but all ages are welcome.
Walnut Creek Library (Begins Thursday, September 22)
Storytime (Ages 0 – 5)
Thursdays at 10:15 am | Oak View Room
For children ages 0-5 with a caregiver. All ages and abilities welcome.
Enjoy music, finger plays and book-centered fun for toddlers and help build literacy skills and kindergarten readiness with longer books, flannel board stories, songs and rhymes.
How to Get the Most Out of Storytime
Build Early Literacy Skills
- Build vocabulary and phonological awareness. Sing story time songs and use story time rhymes at home. Songs, rhymes and repetition build phonological awareness and vocabulary.
- Encourage comprehension. Talk to your child on the way home from the library (or some other time during the day) about what happened in story time.
- Start creating a love of books. Five fun minutes in story time (or with a book any time of day) will be more beneficial to building a love of books than many forced unhappy minutes. Please feel free to leave story time if your child is unhappy or needs to run around. Return to story time the following week for more fun!
Build School Readiness Skills & Attention Span
- Arrive a few minutes before story time. Make sure you & your child are seated and ready for action when story time begins.
- Eliminate distractions. Take a potty break, finish snack time, and put away personal toys before arriving at story time.
- Teach by example. You are your child’s best teacher. Show your child how to participate, and participate with your child.
Build Childhood Memories
- Don’t forget, adults are allowed to have fun at story time too! Have fun with your child and you will build memories to last a lifetime.
Storytimes at the Library
For special accommodations, please contact the library with 72 hours notice.
Attendance is first come, first served. Masks and vaccinations are recommended and social distancing from staff members will be strictly enforced.