- This event has passed.
Storytime for ages 0-5
September 22, 2022 @ 10:15 am - 10:45 am
An event every week that begins at 10:15 am on Thursday, repeating until December 22, 2022
Best suited for children ages 0-5 with a caregiver. All ages and abilities welcome.
Thursdays at 10:15 am.
Music, finger plays and book-centered fun for toddlers and help build literacy skills and kindergarten readiness with longer books, flannel board stories, songs and rhymes.
All storytimes are held on the second floor in the Oak View Room. Attendance is first come, first served.
Masks and vaccinations are recommended. Social distancing from staff members will be strictly enforced.
How to Get the Most Out of Storytime
Build Early Literacy Skills
- Build vocabulary and phonological awareness. Sing story time songs and use story time rhymes at home. Songs, rhymes and repetition build phonological awareness and vocabulary.
- Encourage comprehension. Talk to your child on the way home from the library (or some other time during the day) about what happened in story time.
- Start creating a love of books. Five fun minutes in story time (or with a book any time of day) will be more beneficial to building a love of books than many forced unhappy minutes. Please feel free to leave story time if your child is unhappy or needs to run around. Return to story time the following week for more fun!
Build School Readiness Skills & Attention Span
- Arrive a few minutes before story time. Make sure you & your child are seated and ready for action when story time begins.
- Eliminate distractions. Take a potty break, finish snack time, and put away personal toys before arriving at story time.
- Teach by example. You are your child’s best teacher. Show your child how to participate, and participate with your child.
Build Childhood Memories
- Don’t forget, adults are allowed to have fun at story time too! Have fun with your child and you will build memories to last a lifetime.